Total Pageviews

Friday, August 9, 2013

Materialism in life. By Cesar Reyes Torres

              You know its funny the lessons you learn, and how God chooses to teach them to you. How he puts things in your life to not only learn but think about for years, at the end of which it all comes down to one single thing that he wanted you to realise. This business card represents 8 years of my life. For four years I struggled and worked and struggled to be a new accounts representative. I wanted my own desk, and my own space. Then out of nowhere, from one short dark time in life that seemed eternal, God simply gave me everything I asked for and more. I had my own office, a desk and a company blackberry, and these material things represented something for me. It represented success, trust, and stability. And even though I worked for four years to get to where I am at, from one day to another I simply handed all of it back to the people who gave it to me. I’m transferring to a different department in the company that I work for, and I don’t need any of it anymore. Some people can look at me and think that I’m reading too much into it, but I don’t expect many people to understand. The lessons that God teaches are meant for you, not your friends, or family, just you. His way of teaching things will never lead you astray; he may not provide quick answers as quickly as today’s society’s timetable commands all questions to be answered in. But the lessons he teaches you, are everlasting ones that will test not only your patience, resolve and strength, but ultimately your faith, and lessons that you will not be able to unlearn and that will come in handy when evil tries to lead you astray. 
“In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials.  These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy,  for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your soul”-1 Peter 1:6-9
         
          To me being able to easily let go of those material things, says that they never really meant much to begin with. They are simply material things that are there, which is not to say that they were not useful. But as useful as a hammer is, it is still only just a hammer that can be destroyed. But your faith can be unbreakable, impenetrable; it can be the light that guides you through the darkest alleys, the fruit from where you eat and feel full and complete, and the only place where you can peacefully rest.
           
          To say that material things don’t mean much is a lesson that some people could easily tell me, “Well I could have told you that…” But why would you, and who really takes the time to teach you life lessons, aside from possibly your parents only when you are young and in need of basic guidance. But what happens when we are grown adults and basic guidance is no longer enough. It is in each of us a responsibility to seek out our holly father, and to learn the lessons of the day. For we are all God’s children and as his children we are all students in a lifelong class, so pay attention because there will be a test at some point in time. It is only through him that our faith will grow, and that our lives will be
enriched in ways that we may or may not see immediately. It is only through his teachings that our faith will be tested and be given the wisdom  to overcome anything. That continues to be my belief and part of the foundation of my faith. 


No comments:

Post a Comment